Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Back to BP

I woke up on the train just south of Belgrade for like the 15th time in the past year, and when the train slowly entered the station I looked anxiously at the time and worrying I could be just a bit too late to catch the 7:30 train out to Budapest.  But we arrived at some awful hour like 6am, and it was cold, and I walked up the hill to Ruski Tsar for my usual slice of pizza, and then back down to the station to enjoy a coffee and then hopped on my train to Subotica. By the time we crossed the border it had become evident to me that the Hungarians were onto my game and two conductors burst into my cabin before we even crossed the border and demanded payment.  I was trapped.  This was it.  Finally, all my shenanigans had ended here.  I handed over the ludicrous sum of 2,600 HUF and sat in my seat like a scolded child.  Finally my past had caught up with me and the chickens had come home to roost.  It was somewhat fitting, as well, as I would be starting work the next day and legitimizing my life.  As I stared out the window on the snowy landscape reflecting on the past year and what was to come I thought, "UGH, I have to work for a living?  Why can't people just pay me to do this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment