Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lettuce Alone

Oh, probably the biggest highlight of my two weeks in Tirana was a “guys’ night” during which we played beer pong, called each other “bro” and talked about Civilization II.  I had thought this was basically it but then someone mentioned that no guys’ night is complete without a pear vinaigrette salad.  This was news to me but I used this opportunity to go to market and buy some lettuce. 

Next to the train station there was (and still is) a group of vegetable sellers from the countryside.  I selected the oldest and cronliest of vendors (who traded exclusive in lettuce) and indicated that I would like two heads of buttercrunch.  She then indicated some number to me which I thought was 50 leke ($0.50) so I gave her 60.  She looked at the coins, did an exasperated and disbelieving double-take, and then looked around with a smirk.  She put ALL of her lettuce into a bag, handed it to me, picked up her stool, turned to her fellow vendors as if to say, “Later, loooosers!”, swatted her hand and walked away.  60 cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment