Monday, June 21, 2010

Keeping Up with the Kardashians

You’ll never guess who I ran into at the Armenian border!  No, not the Kardashians.  The reason you’ll never guess is because it’s highly unlikely you read the vague reference to them in a photo caption for Shaking Free of Sheki’s Shackles* and decided to store that little nugget of information away for later in case it became useful.  I certainly hadn’t tucked it away and it took me a while to register who it was when a British couple in a Range Rover rolled up and we both looked at each other in a “Oh, hey, what’s up?  Yeah, just chillin’ at the Armenian border” kind of way (you know what I mean by “that look,” right?) without actually remembering why we knew each other.  Nevertheless they offered me a ride to Vanadzor and we had a great old time visiting Armenian monasteries and eating at a roadside/riverside café on the way there.
 I’m not sure if you’ve ever been to Armenia, or if you’ve ever typed into Google “What is there to see in Armenia” but the answer is churches.  Show me an Armenian, and I will show you someone who will not stop talking about how amazing and unique each church in Armenia is.  They have every reason to be proud of their churches, as they were allegedly the first Christian kingdom in the entire world and these churches have serious staying power despite being surrounded by Islamic powers.  However, as the old adage goes, an Armenian church is an Armenian church is an Armenian church.  After two (2) Armenian churches, I was ready to discover what else Armenia had to offer, and prove wrong that awful, awful Cypriot in Constantinople who told me to avoid the country at all costs.*
If I had to draw a dichotomous tree of all people in the world, I think the first fork would separate those who have heard of Kim Kardashian and those who have heard of Armenia.  Unfortunately the two sides are almost irreconcilable.  Somewhere along the line, reality TV devolved from a brilliant sociological experiment that shone a spotlight on the contemporary human condition into a bunch of lusty and shameless 40-year-old women drinking sweet rosé and telling each other to “Google [each other].”  So you can imagine how no one in Armenia was as interested in discussing the Kardashians as I was.  So if you go to Armenia with the high hopes of walking onto a Keeping Up with the Kardashians set and dealing with the same problems that family does day in, day out, then please read no further and go to Armenia right now.  You will be so disappointed and I would love to be there to document that disappointment and turn that into a reality TV show.
Oh, and I guess it’s worth noting that after I woke up from my red wine and khinkali binge episode, I hopped on a marshrutka to the Armenian border with a transfer in Marneuli where I watched two marshrutka drivers absolutely pound the living shit out of each other on the street.  I don’t understand why the Caucasus has so much large scale, organized strife when each group itself can’t even agree on liking each other.  You’d expect the Caucasus to devolve into a simple Grand Forks—Trail-style rivalry instead of instances of large scale genocide.  I mean, really, that takes a pretty top-level approach that the average marshrutka driver seems incapable of employing.  In any case, I was in Armenia!

*The reason I am meta-hyperlinking like a pro is because when you click on it, it actually increases the page views so when I check my stats I’m all “Oh heeeey, 10 hits this month!  And only 6 of them are me!”                                                                                                                         
**I am so sick of people telling me not to go to Armenia!  I feel like everyone I have ever run into has either told me to not bother going to Armenia, and in some cases to avoid it at all costs, or they have not even mentioned Armenia at all.  Not just Azeris, but Westerners as well, and Westerners who I believe have inherently bad taste.  If anyone has the authority to advise against going to Armenia, it’s me.

No comments:

Post a Comment