Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mixin' it up in Mtskheta

If you think it's unattractive when someone loudly clears phlegm from their throat then I wouldn't suggest trying to learn Georgian or having a Georgian person yell at you in Georgian.  By all means it's a lovely language and very interesting but it requires a lot of phlegm clearing for the "kh" sound that they seem to live for.  I always thought I was quite good at making this sound but it's almost impossible to say the name of "Mtskheta" and for that reason alone I am happy they moved the capital from here to Tbilisi just to make things easier for me in the future.

So, for a quick day trip, I went to Mtskheta.  It was pretty hot so I crawled into a church and basked in the natural A/C for a while, and then into a riverside cafe where I consumed a couple cafe glacees and waited for the sun to go down so I could find a marshrutka back to Tbilisi and repeat my usual routine, which by this point consisted of trying to sneak off to bed while the hostel owners' drunk friends showed up with a 2L Pepsi bottle of cha-cha, Georgian moonshine.

So there was less to do in Mtskheta than what an ancient capital warrants, so here is a series of pictures of an old crone herding cattle.






She screamed so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment